Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Card1 failed’

Solution: Mythtv somtimes doesn’t detect the tuner cards

March 9, 2009 1 comment

As described here I fought the problem for a long time, that mythtv sometimes just refuses to detect the TV cards, when two TV cards are installed.

I think I found the solution to the problem now finally – the problem appears when the loading order of the driver modules are mixed up, so that Card1, which normally is linked to /dev/video0 is linked to /dev/video1 and vice versa for Card2 – that seems to confuse mythtv.

So, the trick is to define in mythbuntu (or Ubuntu+mythtv), that it should load Card1 before Card2 so that the corresponding linking to the video-devs is done correctly.

As Ubuntu uses udev, which is not really easy, I just did the old dirty trick:
1) blacklist both TV card modules (in my case: ivtv and bttv):

sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

and add :

blacklist ivtv
blacklist bttv

2) Load the modules in your desired order:

sudo vi /etc/modules

and add:

ivtv
bttv

That’s it – I hope it finally really works and will test it in the next days.